- March 2019: I am honored to be inducted into the Microsoft Location Summit Hall of Fame, for receiving the First Place Award for my recent talk on “Integrating Autonomy into Urban Systems.”
- December 2018: I am honored to receive the 2018 Milton Pikarsky Memorial Award from the Council of University Transportation Centers (CUTC) for my PhD dissertation. See the corresponding Berkeley ITS article here.
- November 2018: I joined the Reinforcement Learning Group at Microsoft Research AI in Redmond as a postdoctoral researcher.
- November 2018: The Flow team and I gave a full-day Tutorial and a half-day Workshop on Reinforcement Learning and Transportation at the IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference (ITSC) in Maui, Hawaii. All tutorial materials are available here.
- September 2018: I gave an invited talk at the O’Reilly Artificial Intelligence Conference on “Reinforcement Learning for Mixed Autonomy Traffic” about the Flow project.
For full list, see publications.
Learning and Optimization for Mixed Autonomy Systems – A Mobility Context
Thesis. PhD, Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, UC Berkeley, 2018.
Flow: Architecture and Benchmarking for Reinforcement Learning in Traffic Control
Cathy Wu, Aboudy Kreidieh, Kanaad Parvate, Eugene Vinitsky, Alexandre Bayen
IEEE Transactions on Robotics (T-RO). In review.
arXiv / videos / github / project page
Lagrangian Control through Deep-RL: Applications to Bottleneck Decongestion
Eugene Vinitsky, Kanaad Parvate, Abdul Rahman Kreidieh, Cathy Wu, Alexandre Bayen
IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference (ITSC), 2018.
Variance Reduction for Policy Gradient Using Action-Dependent Factorized Baselines
Cathy Wu, Aravind Rajeswaran, Yan Duan, Vikash Kumar, Alexandre M Bayen, Sham Kakade, Igor Mordatch, Pieter Abbeel
International Conference on Learning Representations (ICLR), 2018. Oral (2%).
Deep Reinforcement Learning Symposium (NIPS), 2017. Contributed talk.
arXiv / OpenReview
Cellpath: fusion of cellular and traffic sensor data for route flow estimation via convex optimization
Cathy Wu, Jerome Thai, Steve Yadlowsky, Alexei Pozdnoukhov, Alexandre Bayen
Transportation Research: Part C, 2015.
International Symposium on Transportation and Traffic Theory (ISTTT), 2015. Oral (14%).
journal / pdf / github (system) / github (algorithm)
EE290O: Deep multi-agent reinforcement learning with applications to autonomous traffic
Co-instructor, UC Berkeley, Fall 2018.
CS189: Introduction to Machine Learning
Graduate Student Instructor (Content Development), UC Berkeley, Fall 2017.
CS170: Efficient Algorithms and Intractable Problems
Graduate Student Instructor (Head TA), UC Berkeley, Spring 2016.
6.004: Computation Structures
Teaching Assistant, MIT, Spring 2012.
Selected other writing
It’s Time to Do Something: Mitigating the Negative Impacts of Computing Through a Change to the Peer Review Process.
Brent Hecht, Lauren Wilcox, Jeffrey P. Bigham, Johannes Schöning, Ehsan Hoque, Jason Ernst, Yonatan Bisk, Luigi De Russis, Lana Yarosh, Bushra Anjum, Danish Contractor, Cathy Wu
ACM Future of Computing Academy Blog, 2018.
Traffic Jammin’: Making automated transportation a reality
Berkeley Science Review, 2016.
Automating us: The entanglement of people and machines
Daniel Aranki*, Roel Dobbe*, Jaime F. Fisac*, and Cathy Wu*
Berkeley Science Review, 2015.
How to Lead a Technical Reading Group
Cathy Wu, Oct 2012.